Saturday, July 13, 2013

Useful Educational Apps

I have been very fortunate to have received a classroom set of iPods and an iPad to utilize in my classroom.  I have searched through the many apps available on iTunes to find ones that my students would like using and learn from as well.  A blog that I found extremely useful with 55 FREE Educational Apps is located at
These are the apps that I use frequently in my classroom. 
 

Courtesy of itunes.apple.com
WHITEBOARD FREE

Raizlabs Corporation. (2010). Whiteboard free. (Version 1.5.1). [iPod application software].  Retrieved from http://www.itunes.apple.com

 One of the most valuable apps that I utilize in my classroom is the Whiteboard App.  This app is a free app and does not have a lot of updates to constantly manage.  I use this app in my classroom as a formative and diagnostic assessment tool.  When I am having classroom discussions, I have my students write their responses (usually rather short) and have them show me their answers.  This apps allows me to check my students’ understanding with the ease of not putting someone on the spot. This app can be used in any academic area.   The app is very simply designed.  It allows the user to write using a couple of different color markers.  Erasing answers is a breeze, just shake the device. 

 
QUIZLET

 Quizlet LLC. (2013). Quizlet. (Version 1.1.6). [iPod application software]. Retrieved from  http://www.itunes.apple.com
 
This app works with http://www.quizlet.com.  Quizlet is a flashcard app that allows students extra practice for studying vocabulary words or other concepts.  This app features several million premade flashcard sets.  Teachers or students can make their own flashcard lists.  Sets can be made right in the app or on quizlet.com and downloaded into the app.  In my classroom, I have my students study their root word lists.  Students create their own flashcards and study with a partner. When I am crunched for time, I create the flashcards and have my students download them onto the app.   Also, I have my students get into small groups.  Students have to choose a word from their word list and use it in a conversation with their small group to help build meaning.  Other teachers in my school use the app for spelling lists.  Students get into groups and quiz each other on their spelling words.

 

  WRITER’S HAT

Amos, Linda.  (2012). Writer’s hat. (Version 2.0). [iPod application software].  Retrieved  from http://www.itunes.apple.com

 This app costs $0.99.  Writer’s hat is an app that will help generate ideas for creative writing.  The app lets the students “spin” to generate a list of who, what, where, and when.  The app has a list of tons of ideas for students.  Students can also create and save their own lists.  The app also has a word box that provides a variety of nouns, verbs, adjectives, and adverbs.  I use this app in my classrooms as a bell ringer activity three times a week.  Students grab an iPod, open the app, generate their list, and write a short story.  This app has been awesome for students who have difficulty coming up with ideas. 

 

 STICK PICK

Garwood, Buzz. (2013). Stick pick. (Version 1.04). [iPod application software].  Retrieved from http://www.itunes.apple.com

This app costs $2.99, but it is well worth it.  Stick pick is a great app that allows for diverse questions for all learners.  Stick pick allows the user to set up classes and put every student’s name on a stick.  The teacher can also set the level of question based on Bloom’s Taxonomy for each individual student.  This allows students at higher levels to be challenged with higher level questions as well as allow students with limited English proficiency to answer simple yes-or-no questions.  This is also a great tool for formative assessment.  The teacher can track students’ responses by rating their response with a rubric.  In my classroom, I use this tool in small groups.  The students take turns asking questions.  Observing my students use this tool, the groups are more engaged and on-task when questions are already generated for them. 

 

iTunes U

 Apple Inc. (2013). iTunes U. (Version 1.3.1).  [iPod application software].  Retrieved  from http://www.itunes.apple.com

 This app is free and a must have!  iTunes U have a variety of free courses and lessons ranging from elementary to college level.  iTunes U offers a free selection of audiobooks.  In my classroom, I have utilized this app to have my students view videos on figurative language, parts of speech, poetry, and audiobooks.  iTunes U offers a lot of great lessons for all courses.  This app allows the students to learn the same concepts taught by the teacher, but in a different format. 

Note: All images are courtesy from the works cited source through www.itunes.apple.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment